Reimbursement policies vary for each company, but these tips work for most. If you're interested in being funded to attend Open Source India 2021, having the conversation with your boss or HR will be much more comfortable with the information below.
While these tips have worked for most of our attendees, it's on a case by case basis, so don't count on it.
However, when it does come through, it's a nice bonus! Plus, it establishes that your company is serious about developing and challenging its people.
As even more companies see how valuable Open Source India is, we expect that reimbursement will get easier. Feel free to tell your boss about the other organisations that are visiting the event — and if you're successful, let us know so we can spread the word and tell the others.
If you're looking for more help, check out the reimbursement letter template we've created. It can help you get started.
Subject: Request to Attend Open Source India along with 2000+ open source developers and IT admins
I want to attend Open Source India 2019 in Bengaluru on 17-18 October, as I believe it will help me improve the speed as well as the quality of work I currently do at our firm.
The conference is India's most prominent and longest-running Open Source event, and it is the premier event for open source developers and IT professionals. This year's agenda focuses on (insert specific tracks) that are very relevant to my job challenges right now.
The conference features many industry guest speakers, technology leaders, training & workshops as well as talks by senior industry experts that will significantly benefit my work. Networking with the conference exhibitors and speakers could also help me identify potential improvements.
(Insert specific program information and agenda - for example, the talks/workshops that will help your role the most)
Please check out the conference website at www.opensourceindia.in
The cost to attend the conference will be the registration fee of (insert your preferred pass cost) and travel.
I am confident you will see this as a worthwhile investment. It is an opportunity for us to network with industry leaders, meet the keynote speakers, attend valuable training sessions and gain specific industry knowledge. My attendance at this conference will be a wise investment and will pay off for years to come.
- If the initial request fails, you can also request to get reimbursed for a portion of the tuition fee.
- The “pitch” should be tailored to the specific manager.
- My boss is the CEO, so I was able to discuss with him broadly the value of managing development and IT projects in the organisation.
- If my boss were a manager of a function or in middle management, I probably would have spoken more specifically about how it helps the tasks I’m currently responsible for.
- In either case, it’s important to emphasise the focus on actual results rather than a certificate or credential, although HR, on the other hand, may want to see something like that.
- If you have a continuing education program, talk with your manager and get his approval.
- Write a proposal to negotiate with your HoD to get it in your department’s budget as career development. Include an explanation of the content of the talks you like, the type of skills they teach, speakers credentials and a solid paragraph on what your goals are with the conference and how they related to future gains/goals for your company.
- Go to the HoD and request funds from the “faculty development/conference budget.”
- The cost for this conference can also be written off as a tax expense by accounts, so that could be a point of discussion at smaller firms.